Band Students reach Pinnacle

Photo Credit: Robbi McKenney

SCHS Conference Honor Band students are; Ashley Hernandez, Connor Bywater, and Crystal Carrillo. Not pictured was: Maria Semerad.

Erik Hernandez, Staff Reporter

In the realm of high school band, Conference Honor Band is the pinnacle of recognition and accomplishments. The four students who auditioned were all selected to participate, they are Ashley Hernandez (11), Connor Bywater (12), Crystal Carrillo (11), and Maria Semerad (12). The students were selected by high school music teachers in the Conference acting as judges. The judges are assigned an instrument group and then decide which students had the top auditions. The final decision is left up to the hosting teacher or site which regulates the numbers in the ensemble.

The Conference Honor Band met for one all day rehearsal on March 18th at the Lexington Middle School auditorium in Lexington, NE. Throughout this clinic, the students worked on the finer parts of the music to ensure they were performance ready as well as received direct instruction from a special guest clinician to improve their abilities. Students had an opportunity to network with one another and form lasting connections with students from across the Conference.

The concert this year took place on March 18th at 7:00 PM in the LMS auditorium in Lexington, NE. Benjamin Coatney, Schuyler Central High School Music Teacher stated, “It’s an amazing opportunity for anyone involved and the fact that four of our students were selected demonstrates the dedication from our students this year.”

Mr. Coatney remarks that, “It’s a very significant honor in that individual students in the conference are recognized for their ability and leadership to be a part of an elite group of their peers. These students receive the opportunity to play more advanced musical material with a top-level group while working directly with a special guest clinician to improve upon their abilities and give them exposure to new musical concepts.”

Conference Honor Band is essentially a large group of selected high school musicians who have the unique opportunity to play with other high achieving student musicians from other schools. The other students who attend the Central Conference are selected from schools that include Adams Central, Aurora, Crete, Holdrege, Lakeview, Lexington, Grand Island Northwest, Schuyler Central, Seward, and York

Along with the fulfillment of being recognized for musical talent, the students also receive individual recognition at the concert that is performed by the ensemble. Coatney notes, “Being selected is tantamount to saying that they are the best in their conference.” According to Coatney, the concert is also live streamed on YouTube for those who cannot attend the performance in person.