Sayer takes Silver at Nationals

Photo Credit: Jared Severson

Vivi Anne Sayer holding her awards proudly.

Jacquelyn Perez, Staff Reporter

Schuyler Central High School FCCLA member, Vivi Anne Sayer is the first SCHS student to win at Nationals in at least 20 years. Vivi Anne competed with a virtual presentation of Fashion Construction. She designed and made her own dress. Vivi Anne competed during Covid restrictions therefore the competition was online and virtual. When Vivi Anne found out that she received a Silver rating she was proud of herself. She redid her entire project in 2 weeks before Nationals. After presenting, she was relieved because presenting it virtually is a lot different than in person” remarked Vivi Anne. She would have preferred doing it in person because students can present their presentation once and be done and not worry. “Whereas with submitting a video virtually, it seems to take more time and it was a little stressful to get everything situated,” explained Vivi Anne.

Fashion Construction is the category Vivi Anne chose because she already knew how to sew and thought it would be a great way to learn new skills. When she was presenting, she said it really didn’t feel that bad because she likes to present in front of people especially when she doesn’t know anyone. When she competed in Nationals her favorite part was all of the activities there was to do on the virtual website. She wishes she could have been there to experience it in person. When she was in middle school she wasn’t in FCCLA. She knew it existed but was unfamiliar with it. She’s been in 4-H for at least 10 years and 4-H has taught her many sewing skills that carry over into projects like this. The advice Vivi Anne would give to upcoming FCCLA members who are hoping to compete at Nationals is “Relax, take a deep breath, perform with confidence, and know that you are going to do just fine. It’s a great experience and you will definitely learn and grow from it.” 

Vivi Anne likes FCCLA because there are so many ways to be involved in this organization, whether it’s helping out in your community, meeting others at events, and even getting together with our chapter. According to Jared Severson, SCHS FCCLA Sponsor, he was “extremely happy and proud” of Vivi Anne for doing such a great job. To help more members place at State and National level, Mr. Severson will start earlier this year and hope to have a preview night open for parents and staff to see the projects before the students present at Districts. “This will give them some pride and practice at showcasing their speeches or projects,” explains Mr. Severson.