Band’s harmony lead to good scores

SCHS+2021+Color+Guard+and+Band.+

Photo Credit : Yearbook Staff

SCHS 2021 Color Guard and Band.

Kimberly Morales, Staff Reporter

The SCHS marching band and Color Guard competed in Lincoln on October ninth. Band finished with a 2 and Color Guard with a 1 which is the top score possible.  Paul Niedbalski, the Schuyler High School Band teacher said, “The band competitions went well! The band is getting better with each performance, which is exactly what we want to happen.” This is Mr. Niedbaldski’s second year directing the band at SCHS. Mr. Niedbalski talks about the band’s struggles first. “The biggest thing we need to improve is individual marching. Good fundamental marching makes it much easier to stay in step and play well, plus it makes the forms look sharper.” This makes the band look unified. “Our strength all year has been the band’s playing. They sound really really good! Our highest scores all year have been from the musical judges, which is awesome” Mr. Niedbalski remarked.  

Yoanna Gonzales a 10th grader playing the flute (Photo Credit: Yearbook Staff)

Ghislane Rodriguez, a tenth grader at SCHS shares her experience at competition. “It was definitely a learning experience when we got to watch others perform.” Her favorite memory about the competitions was when everyone was really kind. “It didn’t really feel like a competition because we had fun,” Ghislane commented. This is her first year in a band and competition. Currently there are 74 students enrolled in band.