New addition to English Dept.

Photo Credit: Yearbook Staff

This is Ms. Ihrig’s first year teaching at SCHS

Alexis Manzano, Staff Reporter

SCHS now has a new teacher in the English department. Her name is Sarah Ihrig and she began teaching on January 3rd. She is teaching the 9th graders. One of the goals she has for the 9th graders  “is to give them experiences which will make them want to learn and inspire them.” Ms. Ihrig has previously taught schools in Kansas and Nebraska. One of the reasons she chose Schuyler was that she really likes to teach in smaller towns. Ms. Ihrig has found that “the students are respectful and want to learn, which is where I want to be!”

There were two people that really inspired her to become an educator. They were her high school drama teacher and her dad. Ms. Ihrig chose teaching as a career because she wanted students to learn how to really value reading and writing. Ms. Ihrig received her bachelor degree from Fort Hays University. She then completed her Master’s degree at the University of Nebraska. Though it is only her second year of teaching Language Arts, she previously worked in Special Education, administration, and consulting. Apart from teaching, she enjoys visiting her mother in Lincoln in her spare time. She also is trying to reteach herself how to play the piano. Ms. Irhrig wants to show students that you don’t have to be perfect at it but be able to use the components. She is not replacing a teacher, but is a new addition. The English Department teachers also include; Lydia Quiring, Chase King, Melanie Gustafson, Elizabeth Lickei, and Emily Steinhoff.