SCHS Admin responsibilities evolve

Photo Credit: Kimberly Morales

Dr. Lefdal flies with a little help. Back row left to right: Samantha Ladwig, Travis Steinhoff, and Brandi Zavadil.

Kimberly Morales, Staff Reporter

Dr. Jodie Sam, who was the Schuyler Central High School principal, has resigned early. She resigned during Christmas break on December 30, 2021. Her first job as a principal started at SCHS in the Fall of 2021. Her previous job was working as Assistant Director of Special Projects in Fremont, NE. 

With the change in staff, roles have changed for administration. The SCHS administration has different roles and responsibilities. The positions they had before are still theirs, however with the exception of Assistant Principal and Activity Director Travis Steinhoff, the other positions have evolved. Dr. Joey Lefdal the Director of Student Services has taken the role of Head Principal. He claims that his responsibilities are more and will continue to work as the  Director of Student Services, but will add the responsibilities of a principal. “I have an amazing team of admin, counselors, and support staff that will help,” commented Dr. Lefdal.

Samantha Ladwig, the Instructional Coach is now Assistant Principal. “I have taken on the new role of supervisor for the core teachers. I also have the responsibility of evaluating teachers based on our instructional model, remarked Mrs. Ladwig. Lastly, Brandi Zavadil is now the instructional Coach and English Language Learner Counselor. “I gained responsibility as a new member of the Priority Team,” explains Mrs. Zavadil. She looks forward to working with and learning from the KLK consultants and working with teachers and students to create a learning environment. 

Change was made fast and adjusting to it isn’t always simple. Dr. Lefdal shared that “flexibility” is the name of the game. “I will do whatever I need to do to help our students and staff.  This is just a transition time, so we just need to stay positive, keep smiling, and enjoy every sandwich” says Dr. Lefdal. “Communication is big” and Mrs. Ladwig explains that communicating and supporting each other has helped the staff work together and accomplish goals they have set for the school.