Welcome Aboard Mr. Cover

Photo Credit: Jeremy Jurado

Mr. Cover in his classroom ready to greet his students.

Jeremy Jurado, Staff Reporter

Schuyler Central High School has a new addition to the English department, Jaden Cover. Mr. Cover is a first year teacher, who graduated from Midland University in May of 2022. Mr. Cover shared ,“It’s been lots of fun meeting all my students.” Mr. Cover never expected to start his first year using a walker but he said, “It made for a great ice breaker.” Mr. Cover is currently recovering from a car accident. Mr. Cover appreciates the students’ time management and their positive attitudes. Mr. Cover up completed field base experience with Mrs. Rocheford at the middle school during the Spring of his junior year. After that Mr. Cover knew that he wanted to work at Schuyler. Mr. Cover said he was fortunate enough to meet Samantha Ladwig, a Assistant Principal at SCHS when she was teaching English at the middle school. Mrs. Ladwig reached out to him last Spring when a position opened up at the high school. Mr. Cover felt lucky how everything fell into place to end up working at the high school.

The goal that Mr. Cover wants to achieve for his students is to show that literature is for everyone whether you enjoy novels, listening to audio books, or writing poetry. He hopes that each of his students walk away enjoying something in class. Mr. Cover was inspired to be a teacher because of his other teachers and coaches when he was growing up, many of which were role models for him. Mr. Cover thinks that being an educator “gives a unique opportunity to make an impact on young people on a daily basis.” Mr. Cover explained that “the kids in my class may not remember how to use a semicolon property or how to in MLA format five years down the road, but hopefully they remember I cared about them.”

Mr. Cover went back and forth about which subject matter he wanted to teach, History or English, because he loved both those two subjects. Mr. Cover believes that being an English teacher allows him to get to know his students better through their writing. For a long time, Mr. Cover wanted to become a sports journalist or sports broadcaster. However, Mr. Cover did work for his school newspaper for three years. Mr. Cover shared that he loved writing about sports, talking about sports, and even taking pictures or videos at sport games. It wasn’t until halfway through Mr. Cover’s senior year he decided that he wanted to become a teacher.

Mr. Cover mentioned that he loves being both a football coach and a teacher for different reasons. He loves teaching because he can reach a wide range of students. Mr. Cover disclosed that  “every kid has different interests and goals” and when he is teaching he gets to learn new things about his students each and every day which is exciting to Mr. Cover. But as far as coaching goes, Mr. Cover shared  “I know how valuable playing sports was to me growing up.” Mr. Cover also stated “I have met so many great people through playing sports, whether that was football, hockey, or even baseball.” He thinks as a coach, it allows him to continue making those close bonds through the sports.