New Equipment for Shop Class

Photo Credit: Esmeralda Lara

Adrian Zamudio using the new equipment.

Esmeralda Lara, Staff Reporter

This year at Schuyler Central High School our construction department received new equipment. They received a 20″ planer, 6″ jointer, 24″ drum sander, sliding compound miter saw, 4 shapers, and 3 vacuum systems to connect to the new machines. The new equipment was paid for with a grant program that the school received. The grant was called ReVision and it is for vocational classes. All of this new equipment will help the students on their construction projects and help them to learn custom cabinet building skills. With help from Dr. Hoesing, cabinet shops and other schools were contacted for equipment advice. The school also had an outside consultant, Craig Frerichs, come in. Mr. Frerichs was an Industrial tech teacher and a principal. He is now a School Safety Inspector for the State of Nebraska.

The only downside about getting new equipment was the wait. Mr. Scott Anderson said, “The worst part was not having the room set up and some of the classes couldn’t start on the projects we would like to work on. Students did help put new tops on the work tables and assemble some of the equipment.  We got rid of some obsolete equipment and cleaned the shop area. We did continue with a construction project in the new addition while we were working on the existing room.” It took about a month to get the equipment in and they are still waiting on the jointer that will come in November. Now that they have received almost all equipment it is making it easy to do all the work that is needed for the projects. Students helped put everything together. Now everything is working perfect and the shop is staying clean thanks to the new vacuum systems. Due to all new equipment students will be getting work done on time the safe way.