School Teacher becomes Mayor

Photo Credit: Robbi McKenney

Jon Knutson at Schuyler Central High School

Carlos Salinas, Staff Reporter

Mayor Dave Reinecke will not be looking forward for a re-election, instead Jon Knutson is taking his position as Schuyler Mayor. ‘’As mayor I am looking forward to meeting new people. I also am looking forward to helping new projects that will make Schuyler a better community to live, and to represent Schuyler to outsiders in a positive and candid way.’’ Jon Knutson said. Dave Reinecke has been the Schuyler Mayor since 1998. Jon Knutson has been on the City Council for 19 years. Knutson said he “has dreamt of what he could do as mayor.”

Jon Knutson is a retired Schuyler Central High School Government teacher. Jon Knutson’s wife Pat Knutson is currently working at Schuyler Middle School as a special education teacher. Jon Knutson is also working as a substitute teacher at Schuyler Central High School. He now is taking his steps forward as Schuyler Mayor.

Jon Knutson said ‘’It will change my life as I will need to devote so much of my private time to the job that it requires public time. The only steps I took to become mayor was to be a councilperson first, and to make local government an awesome tool for the people.’’ Schuyler Mayor is a part time job that sometimes requires it to be full time. According to Jon Knutson, ‘’It is a paid position as are the council seats as well as most of all the local government jobs.’’ Jon Knutson said ‘’I hope to keep Schuyler moving forward with the projects concerning housing, infrastructure, inclusion and retail recruitment.’’