Resurrecting FCCLA

Photo Credit: Robbi McKenney

FCCLA 18-19 membership increases from previous year.

Erik Hernandez, Staff Reporter

The Family Career and Community Leadership of America chapter at Schuyler Central High School was inactive in the 2017-18 school year. FCCLA in 2017-18 had 4 unofficial members. This year FCCLA has 24 members. The new sponsor of FCCLA is Jared Severson, who is a SCHS Food and Consumer Science teacher. Severson recruited these members by posting on the student bulletin, hanging a couple of flyers around the school hallways, and talking to a few students he knew might be interested.

The 2018-19 members have attended the District Leadership Conference, the State Leadership Conference, and the District Star Competition. The last time a FCCLA member qualified for the State competition was in 2015. This year, Melissa Escobar and Vanessa Serrano qualified for the State competition, which will take place in April. Escobar and Serrano’s project is on the effects of alcoholism on the body.

This years FCCLA has raised funds through selling flower bulbs, working concessions, selling coffee, and catalog sales. This money goes toward state and national dues, polo shirts for competitions, and for official banquets. When asked why students should join FCCLA, Mr. Severson answered, “FCCLA is a place for you to feel safe, talk about meaningful topics and learn more about family, health, careers, and of course food.” Mr. Severson wasn’t involved in FCCLA during his high school career, but he was involved in similar groups and clubs.  When asked about whether this year met his expectations or not, Mr. Severson claimed, “We have exceeded my expectations and I am hoping to be more prepared for all the opportunities and have the kids do more and be more involved and ready for next years Star projects.”