FFA goes to Nationals

Photo Credits: Casey Harper

The SCHS students that went to FFA Nationals

An opportunity to gain new leadership skills and have new experiences was how FFA members benefited by going to Nationals. On October 27th through the 31st, SCHS students went to FFA Nationals in Indianapolis, Indiana. The students that went this year were; Emma Jedlicka, Ally Vavricek, Addy Vavricek, Abby Reyna, Robert Rocheford, Landen Reyes, Trey Svatora, and Wyatt Kluck. Future Farmers of America prepares members towards leadership and success through agricultural education. The FFA organization is an organization that provides a path to achieve leadership, personal growth and career success. FFA programs are funded through sponsorships, individual donations, fundraising, and event fees. FFA has different events and all those are to help an individual in their future success. For example, some events that were held at FFA Nationals were; entertainment, competitive events,  business sessions, and many more. Nationals benefit the students and the FFA chapter, by allowing students to see first-hand the best of the best in the country.

Students, who attended Nationals, were able to explore the convention by talking to other businesses and colleges that were there. “Leadership was something that we discussed over and over again while on this trip,” shared Casey Harper, FFA Co-Sponsor and Schuyler Central High School Ag teacher. Lynn Hanson, a welding teacher at SCHS, is also a FFA Co-Sponsor, however Mr. Hanson was unable to attend Nationals this year. The officers for FFA are Kodie Kracl, Emma Jedlicka, Makayla Cerny, and Eilza Bailey. 

“We even got to talk to the president of the Puerto Rico association,” Mr. Harper explained. The students attended several industry tours, visited a dairy and creamery in Missouri. “While in Kentucky we went to a zoo with kangaroos and birds and it was a great experience for students to be in the pens with the animals,” commented Mr. Harper. The last two days of the trip they went to a retired racehorse farm and even watched some races. There were requirements to attend FFA National. Students had to complete an application, conduct an interview that consists of an administration and FFA alumni members. FFA member Abigail Reyna, explains, “My favorite part of Nationals was hanging out with people in our chapter and getting to know each other. It was a great bonding experience for us to get to know each other better, especially freshman getting to know the upperclassmen.”