Dimas receives TeamMates award

Photo Credit: Carolina Carvajal

Mrs. Dimas in the office as an administrative assistant.

Carolina Carvajal, Staff Reporter

Alejandra Dimas, TeamMate mentor and Schuyler Central High School Administrative Assistant was recognized by TeamMates. She received the TeamMates Mentoring Program Appreciation Award. She received this award for the ten years she’s served as the Schuyler TeamMates Program Coordinator. She has not always been a mentor, Mrs. Dimas shares, “I started as a Co-Coordinator for the Schuyler Chapter, then served as the Program Coordinator up to 2021.” While Mrs. Dimas has only mentored one student, she has had many close relationships with students. Mrs. Dimas enjoys mentoring students as, “Mentoring my mentee was very rewarding, I always felt like I was getting the most out of the deal!” Students at SCHS meet with their mentors once a week to have lunch and to enjoy their time together. 

TeamMates was first founded in 1991 by University of Nebraska Head Football Coach Tom Osborne and his wife Nancy. According to TeamMates.org, “The mission of the TeamMates Mentoring Program is to impact the world by inspiring youth to reach their full potential through mentoring.” Mrs. Dimas believes, “all human beings, especially our youth, long to build healthy relationships in which they feel valued, heard, encouraged and supported.” TeamMates provides a  mentor in a student’s life to build a strong relationship with them. TeamMates provides many opportunities for non-competitive scholarships for students who have been in TeamMates for longer than three years.