The Home of Schuyler Central High School News

The Schuyler Warrior

The Schuyler Warrior

The Schuyler Warrior

Like us on Facebook
Click below to follow Warrior News

Two Big Wins for the Starting Season

Photo Credit: Yearbook Staff
The Schuyler Central Girls Soccer team of 23-24.

In the previous girls soccer season, the overall record was 7-8, and since this season started they are at 2-1. On March 3rd, they went against the Aurora Huskies and won 4-0. Two days later on the 16th, they went against the Grand Island Islander and won 5-3. On March 16th, the lost to Kearney 0-10. Clarissa Eloge, a English Second Language/ Reading and Social Studies teacher, is in her tenth year of coaching girls at soccer at Schuyler Central High School, but in her seventh year of being head coach. The assistant coaches this season are a returning assistant coach Jennifer Novak, a Special Education teacher at Schuyler Elementary School, and new assistant coach Micheal Trotter, SCHS Art teacher. 

Coach Eloge shared that her goal for the girls this season is “more goals scored than last year, better win/loss record, finish in the top of the conference, and make it further in post season.” She went on to say that there are two returning players that played a majority of the games last year, so she’s trying to create a flow that works to keep other teams from scoring. Coach Eloge explained that one of their strengths is “having multiple girls that have decent speed, which will be helpful for breakaways and through balls whether on offense or defense.” One of their weaknesses is that they are “working to rebuild our defense,” shared Coach Eloge. 

Ailyn Angel, a junior and returning soccer player, shared that her goal this soccer season is to improve on her technique and speed. Ailyn plans to improve her speed by conditioning a lot due to her injury from last year. “I went to soccer conditioning and ran during the winter,” explained Ailyn on how she prepared for this season. This is Ailyn’s third year playing for SCHS, but her sixth year of playing soccer.