The Home of Schuyler Central High School News

The Schuyler Warrior

The Schuyler Warrior

The Schuyler Warrior

Like us on Facebook
Click below to follow Warrior News

A successful season for the SCHS Speech Team

Photo Credit: Grant Torpin
Gina Alba presenting her POI Speech at State Speech.

On March 11th, the Schuyler Speech team competed at Districts. Districts took place at Wayne State College. Students who attended Districts were successful in each of their categories. There were a total of 17 SCHS students who attended Districts and were successful in their categories. Students that were medalists at Districts were; Jazminlett Bernal (10) and Maliya Keeshan (10), placed 5th in Duet. Gina Alba (12), placed 5th in Extemp. For Informative, Audrey Ruskamp (12), placed 5th. Areli Arellano (10), Jaylee DeLaTorre (9), and Joel Medina (12), were the OID group and placed 4th. Also in OID, Jazminlett Bernal, Lauren Wemhoff (10), Daniel Morales (11), Linda Sebastian (9), and Elvia Morales (9), all placed 5th. In Poetry, Daniel Morales placed 4th. Lastly, for Entertainment, Jaritza Tamup (11), placed 6th. Students that were State-Bound Medalists were; Alex Aldana (11) and Joel Medina, placed 3rd in Duet. For Informative, Maliya Keeshan placed 2nd. For Humorous Interpretation, Alex Aldana placed 2nd. For Dramatic Interpretation, Gina Alba placed 1st and Joel Medina placed 3rd. Lastly, for POI, Alex Aldana placed 1st and Gina Alba placed 3rd. 

Following Speech Districts was State Speech. State Speech took place at the University of Nebraska at Kearney on March 20th. The SCHS students who qualified for State Speech were; Jazminlett Bernal, Maliya Keeshan, Joel Medina, Alex Aldana, and Gina Alba. Students who placed at State were Alex Aldana who placed 4th in POI and Gina Alba who was runner-up in POI. Grant Torpin, an Information Applications Technology and Personal Finance teacher at Schuyler Central High School, is the Head Coach for Speech. Mr. Torpin was also involved in Speech all four years of high school. Mr. Torpin has helped his students prepare for competition days by giving feedback and putting in long hours in order to prepare them for competition days.