The Home of Schuyler Central High School News

The Schuyler Warrior

The Schuyler Warrior

The Schuyler Warrior

Like us on Facebook
Click below to follow Warrior News

Art awards are her destiny

Photo Credit: Michael Trotter
Destheny Ortega’s drawing that made her win a Nebraska Young Artist Award.

A junior at Schuyler Central High School, Destheny Ortega, recently won a Nebraska Young Artist Award  Desteny received her award from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s Hixson-Lied College of Fine and Performing Arts. Destheny created a still-life drawing that represented her family’s country named “Rio Mio”. Destheny wanted to represent her family’s country and culture. Destheny’s inspiration came from her parents for putting a lot of effort to help Destheny and her siblings to have a better education. Destheny plans to study business or graphic design/communications after high school. “I felt accomplished, because the feelings I felt of the warmth from my parents country is placed in something that you can visually see,” Destheny explained how she felt when she received the news about her award. 

Last year during May, Destheny’s artwork was recognized by the 1st District Congressman Mike Flood. Destheny also had her artwork hung in the capitol building. There were two young talented artists who recently was recognized nationally as Youth Art Month (YAM); Destheny Ortega and Jesus Chavez. The Nebraska Art Teachers Association (NATA) will host an annual art show at Nebraska State Capitol, to recognize the two talented artists. Destheny’s piece won Best Overall Artists and Best in Show artwork. Destheny’s piece will be printed onto a flag, which will represent the state of Nebraska at the 2025 NAEA National Convention.