The Home of Schuyler Central High School News

The Schuyler Warrior

The Schuyler Warrior

The Schuyler Warrior

Like us on Facebook
Click below to follow Warrior News

Conference Quiz Bowl

Junior+varsity+and+varsity+team+at+Conference+Quiz+Bowl.+
Photo Credits: John Sayer
Junior varsity and varsity team at Conference Quiz Bowl.

On April 16, ten students from Schuyler Central High School went to Seward and competed in the Conference Quiz Bowl. The junior varsity team was composed of Isaac “Gabe” Lucar (11), Damian Gutierrez (10), Allison Arriaga (10), Jason Barrios (10), Cristobal Velez (10), and Rafael Carvajal (10). The varsity team members were; Gina Alba (12), Bon Mejia (11), Audrey Ruskamp (12), and Ghislane Rodriguez (12). The varsity team placed 5th place overall. Quiz Bowl is an opportunity for students to show their knowledge of a variety of topics. An example of a Quiz Bowl question would be, “In Infinite Jest, John “No Relation” Wayne is the top-ranked player at the Enfield Academy for this sport.”

John Sayer, SCHS Science teacher and Quiz Bowl sponsor, recruits students for Quiz Bowl  who do well academically. “It is not the smart student who does well, but the well rounded student who remembers stuff,” explained Mr. Sayer. Bon Mejia, a member of the varsity Quiz Bowl team, and junior shared that “witnessing the speed and knowledgeable answers of our team members during rounds,” was his favorite part about Quiz Bowl.