County Day at SCHS

Photo Credit; Jason Friesen

SCHS students at County Day.

Esmeralda Lara, Staff Reporter

On November 19, Schuyler Central High School Government teacher Jason Friesen, took eighteen students down to the courthouse for County Day. The purpose of County Day is to educate students about our local government and what they offer to our community. On this day, the students chosen get to tour the courthouse and learn about the jobs that are offered. To be chosen students must be in good academic standing in american government for both first quarter and second quarter. Not every single student who met these requirements went, only the students who were interested. There were twenty one students chosen, but because of a scheduling conflict with One Act not all students attended.

Mr. Friesen stated, “I hope that they would learn something new about our county government and what is all involved in various jobs.  Students were able to see part of what everyday operations are in our courthouse. They could also see possible occupations that they could pursue as a career in the future.” Student Daniella Alarcon said that she “learned about certain people that work for the county.” Alarcon learned about their jobs and what they can and can not do. Students have been going to County Day for over four years.