Ending the Season on a High Note

Photo Credit: Yearbook Staff

The Schuyler Marching Band performing during halftime at a football game. Photo Credits: Yearbook Staff

Jasmine Salgado, Staff Reporter

At the beginning of marching season, the Schuyler Marching Band had a couple of goals they wanted to accomplish. Benjamin Coatney, Band Director at Schuyler Central High School, stated, “At the start of the season, I asked leadership for their goals for the season.” The band had four main goals for this season: to have a band of which they can be proud, to be more disciplined and have better focus during rehearsals, to have fun and have a year they can always remember fondly, and to get a Superior rating at a contest.

“I appreciated the attitude of the students from the start of the season from the first day at band camp, it was very apparent that there was a focus on wanting to improve in all areas”, said Mr. Coatney, “That isn’t to say we didn’t face any obstacles; we are still learning as a group about what it takes to be successful, but I was very pleased with the growth and direction of this group of students.” One positive development was the addition of Mr. Troy Ehmke on the music staff as a K-8 music teacher. “His insight and experience from his time as a teacher in Hastings and Nebraska City was greatly beneficial to the program and our students and we look forward to his work with us as we continue to build the SCS Band Program” said Mr. Coatney. This year the band performed at the Fremont Marching Band Showcase in Fremont, the Columbus Marching Festival in Columbus, the Pierce Marching Band Contest in Pierce, Harvest of Harmony in Grand Island and the Lincoln Public Schools Marching Invitational in Lincoln. They also performed at every home football game at Schuyler Central High School. At all these contests they received an Excellent rating.

Their goals for next year will stay consistent. With each year they are able to more accurately identify what it is they want out of the year. “There are many fantastic leaders with bright futures ahead of them in our group, and I’m hoping to give these leaders the best opportunity they can to succeed” stated Mr. Coatney. The Schuyler Marching Band is very proud of what they have accomplished this season.