Schuyler Blood Drive exceeds Goal

Photo Credit: Yearbook Staff

Senior Kevin Rodriguez donating blood.

David Juarez, Staff Reporter

Schuyler Central High School hosted the annual Red Cross Blood Drive coordinated by Ms. Elizabeth Lickei. Ms. Lickei has coordinated the Blood Drive for 8 years. The Red Cross Blood Drive was held in Schuyler Central High School in the west gym on Wednesday, December 5th at 8:30 a.m until 3:00 p.m. Students helped recruit donors by making appointments during all lunches prior to the drive. Mr. Aaron Thumann’s PE class helped get out tables and chairs. Students that wanted to donate blood  have to be seventeen to donate. If students are under seventeen and want to donate they have to have their parent’s permission.

The SCHS  Blood Drives are held 3 times a year; December, April, and July. After donating blood, donors receive a snack and something to drink. Donors leave after 10-15 minutes and continue their normal day. The blood goes to a processing center and is tested to make sure it is safe to give to patients. It is stored and then distributed as hospitals need it.

SCHS December Blood Drive made a goal of 68 units and collected 79 units of blood. The spring and summer drives have lower goals, 35 and 25 respectively. The number of units they collect determine how much college scholarship money the Red Cross awards to our school each year. Usually that money goes to the seniors who helped with the blood drives.