NHS Almost Doubles Membership

Photo Credit: Robbi McKenney

Nayeli Cruz assisting with the National Honor Society Induction Ceremony.

Carlos Salinas, Staff Reporter

National Honor Society New Member Induction was held to officially welcome 28 new members into the organization. The membership total is now 60 student in the Schuyler Central High School chapter of National Honor Society. Each member pledges to uphold the honor that is associated with the NHS. National Honor Society is a group of students that show academic excellence, leadership, service, and character. Mandy Yosten, Schuyler Central High School English teacher, is the sponsor for National Honor Society. According to Mandy Yosten, “In 2014-2015 we inducted right around 30 members.” Records show that this was the last induction a similar amount of students were inducted.

To join the National Honor Society, students must first qualify by having a cumulative GPA of 3.7.  Each student in the National Honor Society must meet that initial criteria and complete an application for membership. On the application, students have to show their involvement in the school and community and explain why they would want to be a member.  Once applications have been received, they are reviewed by an executive committee and accepted or denied based on how they fit with the pillars of NHS, which is scholarship, service, leadership, and character.

Already this school year, NHS members have worked at concessions and a Burger Bash to raise money for the Schuyler Cemetery Association. They are also helping students who are 18 or older to register to vote so that their voice can be heard on the school bond issue.