FFA Year in Review

Erik Hernandez, Staff Reporter

SCHS FFA Chapter placed in several different categories at Districts this year. The Nursery/Landscape team placed 3rd and qualified for State, Maddie Prochaska placed 5th individually. The Vet Science team placed 4th. Cassie Macholan placed 11th, and Tasha Macholan placed 16th. The Welding team placed 8th. Rachel Shonka placed 5th individually and Merrick Kort placed 8th. Agriscience placed 7th. The Livestock Management teams placed 11th and 15th.

The State Future Farmers of America Convention took place April 3rd, 4th, and 5th. According to Mollie Maresh, Agriculture teacher at Schuyler Central High School, “FFA members, advisors, and guests can support chapters and members receiving awards and listen to motivational speakers and state officer retiring addresses during convention sessions; be engaged, because in leadership workshops, watch students compete in competitive events and attend the annual Expo and Career Fair.” Students do not have to participate in Districts, but it is highly encouraged because the more practice you get in the contest setting they better and more prepared you will be for State contests.

At State Convention, Senior Kasey Brabec placed 3rd in Diversified Horticulture, 2nd in Hospitality/Restaurant/Tourism, and finally 1st in Landscape Management. Kasey and Cassie Macholan earned their State FFA Degree, which is the highest award an FFA member can earn at the State level. Kasey Brabec was a Star Finalist in Agribusiness, therefore he was one of the top 24 students in the state with his SAE project/areas. Curtis Novak and Landen Reyes presented the Hall of Chapters display and earned a Bronze rating. Maddie Prochaska, Jenna Jedlicka, Katelynn Stodieck, and Makayla Cerny competed in a Nursery/Landscape Management contest placed 39th place.