Teacher leaves to pursue her Dream

Photo Credit: Jennifer Svoboda

Jennifer Svoboda poses with her coworkers at Stanford University.

Brienna Romero, Staff Reporter

Recently, Jennifer Svoboda, Schuyler Central High School Physical Science and Weightlifting teacher moved to San Francisco, California to be a Track and Field coach at Stanford University. Stanford University is well recognized private school as one of the top academic and athletic schools in the world. According to Svoboda, Stanford has won the Directors’ Cup for the past 25 consecutive years. Not only their athletic success is expected in sports, but in the classroom as well. “

In 2007, Svoboda graduated from Howells Public Schools. After graduation, she received a full scholarship to the University of Kentucky. Svoboda graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in Exercise Science and a minor in Health Promotion. Svoboda , chose to finish her masters degree in Kentucky. While Svoboda’s first position as a GA for academics, she achieved her Masters in Sports Administration in 2014. After her recent Masters degree in Sports Administration, she coached four seasons at the University of Southern Mississippi. 

Starting August of 2019, due to Schuyler’s diversity, Svoboda chose to work in Schuyler and be closer to her family. “I love learning about and observing other cultures, and Schuyler afforded me that opportunity,” commented Svoboda. 

Svoboda will miss her great connections at the Pink School and Schuyler Central High School. Unfortunately, her dream position is located in California and she had to leave her family and friends behind in Nebraska. “One thing my former high school teacher and valued mentor advised her to never forget where you came from,” stated Svoboda. According to Svoboda, her experience in Nebraska taught her the foundation of commitment, work ethic, honesty, community, and simplicity. “There is nothing like a small community,” stated Svoboda.

Currently, Svoboda holds the Class C and D State records in shot put. Also, she used to hold the National Freshman record in shot put until the record was broken. In addition, Svoboda represented team USA for the World Youth Championships in Marrakech, Morocco.

Svoboda plans to be apart of the Pac-12 Championship and bring home a National team title at Stanford. Eventually, Svoboda wants to pursue her education by taking classes next year. “My biggest accomplishment in life can be recognized in the effort I put forth. It doesn’t matter what the task is, I give 110%,” stated Svoboda. 

Overall, Svoboda is looking forward to exploring all of California especially, Yosemite National Park and Napa’s Valley. She also plans on frequent visits in San Francisco which is 30 minutes away from Stanford.