Sophomores Dominate the Race

Photo Credits: Yearbook Staff

Marisol Deanda leading the pack.

Brienna Romero, Staff Reporter

Two Schuyler Central High School sophomores qualified for State Cross Country on October 17, 2019. Marisol Deanda and Eduardo Carrasco ran in the NASAA Class B Championship at Kearney, Nebraska. Lexington, Omaha Skutt Catholic, Gering, Norris, and Seward were the main competition for Schuyler. 

According to Deanda, each cross country meet had its own unique memorable obstacle that she tackled. At the Kearney Invitational Meet, according to Deanda, she kept up with a very competitive runner, Mary Roskins from Blair. Unfortunately, Roskens beat her at the Invitational, but Deanda evaluated her technique and passed Roskins in the middle of the State Race. “End of the last mile, I don’t know how I did it, but something deep inside me helped me to push through the race. I started passed several girls, and I heard my coach say I was in eighth place. On this day, I discovered this other side of myself to find the strength to finish,” expressed Deanda. Deanda placed 10th out of 200 girls at the Kearney Invitational.

Photo Credits: Yearbook Staff
Deanda steadily passes her competition.

Deanda ran 400 miles for summer training and that impacted her future goals as a runner. “Last year, I was the second runner on our team. Being second didn’t satisfy me. I became relentless till I was the best runner and leader of the team and be the one leading my team to a low score.” Throughout a struggling part of the race, Deanda asked herself with a thought ,“Am I going to let all that work go to waste?”

“I started training for this specific day at the end of May. This day was finally here, but I was definitely ready for it,” acknowledged Deanda. At State, Deanda placed 18th out of 86 girls with the time of 20:57. Deanda was about one minute and 54 seconds away from 2019 State Champion Chesley Espinoza, a junior from Hastings, Nebraska. Coach Cassidy motivated her throughout each race. For example, he yelled out,“You trained for this.” Deanda’s mother always loved her even if she came last or first. 2018 State Cross Country Qualifier,Christobal Gonzalez, her boyfriend, a deeply supporting person who pushed her by calling her before or after each race. According to Deanda, all the dedication and hard work paid off that allowed her to qualify for State. 

“My favorite memory is getting first at the Raymond Central meet,” stated Carrasco. At State Carrasco placed 17th out of 50 boys with the time of 17:06. Carrasco was about 2 minutes from the State Champion Zach VanBrocklin, a senior from Norris, Nebraska.  His family and teammates pushed him throughout the season and State meet.

Photo Credits: Yearbook Staff
Carrasco finished strong at the State Meet.

Overall, Carrsaco did not have any summer training, but still managed to qualify for State. Carrasco believed he could have finished the race in a better pace. Carrasco and Deanda both plan on placing at State next year.