Annual blood drive helps save lives

An+individual+from+the+community+donating+blood.+

Photo Credits: Kimberly Morales

An individual from the community donating blood.

Kimberly Morales, Staff Reporter

The annual blood drive was held at SCHS on December 8, 2021 in the auditorium. Elizabeth Lickel, a 12th and 10th grade English teacher at Schuyler Community Schools, coordinated the blood drive. This is her 10th year as coordinator. She coordinates this event with the assistance of her Culture Club students. Jared Severson, a Family Consumer Science teacher, and his FCCLA members also assist with the blood drives. To donate blood, you must be 16 with parent consent and have an ID. Other ages are always encouraged, but must also show an ID. It is also very important to eat full meals and drink lots of water before donating blood. With this preparation, people who donate do not faint or have less chance of fatigue. Snacks and water are provided. Medical workers come to the school with supplies in order to receive blood donations. Donating benefits the community and lives. Each blood donation can potentially save up to 3 lives or more. The donations are delivered to hospitals then later given to patients.

This year their goal was to donate 75 units, but the final total was 85. Twenty four of the donors were students. Students who donate blood can earn scholarships. This scholarship is called the Red Cross scholarship. The Red Cross bases the scholarship money on how much blood is collected each year. It is usually $750. “We usually award that money to a senior who helps organize the bloodmobiles,” Ms. Lickel explained. There are usually three blood drives throughout the year. 

“The best part of the blood drive is knowing that we are saving lives,” Ms. Lickei shared. When hosting a blood drive, there is a lot of work to be done before the drive to get ready. It can be difficult to get students involved in the planning, phone calling, setting up before school and taking things down after school. Therefore before the Red Cross department comes, there are always reminders and promotions to encourage people to donate blood.