FCCLA goes to State again

The+FCCLA+Chapter+after+qualifying+for+State.+

Photo Credit: Yearbook Staff

The FCCLA Chapter after qualifying for State.

Jakelin Ortega, Staff Reporter

The Schuyler Chapter of Family Career and Community Leaders of America made history once again by qualifying for State. The qualifying members Lucia Mendez, Vivi Anne Sayer, Josue Fuentes, and Emily Daviu, Joel Medina, Alex Aldana put major effort into Districts, and the outcome was that seven students made it to State. The FCCLA chapter is made up of 40 members at the high school level. Out of the students that competed, there was also an eighth grader, Areli Arellano who competed in the category Food Innovations at Level One. 

The seven students that successfully made it to state are going to compete at State in April. Gina Alba and Kevin Juarez, both sophomore’s at SCHS, are working on an Online event that will be judged only at State. According to Jared Severson, Business and Family Consumer Science instructor and also FCCLA advisor, stated “Hours of work put into a project depends on what it is, some projects probably take a minimum of 8 hours and some can take a very long time if it is something a student spends weeks to create.” 

The students put many hours of hard work and dedication to show off their best at the competition. “I am excited to be a State qualifier,” shared Vivi Anne Sayer, FCCLA President. This will be her first year competing at State in person. “For the last two years I haven’t been able to due to COVID” shared Vivi Anne. Emily Daviu, a junior, shared that ‘‘being a FCCLA member and officer has helped me understand that being a leader is not just taking the title, but working your butt off.’’ Emily wants her topic to be known to as many people as possible. “To prepare for State, I plan to improve my speech with the judge’s critics” explained Emily.