School events benefit the community

Photo Credit:Yearbook Staff

Speech team poses with their medals from the Schuyler Speech Meet.

Melani Alarcon, Staff Reporter

Schuyler Central High School hosts events for different extracurricular activities. One event that had a lot of attendees at it was the Schuyler Speech Meet that was held on February 5th. All the classrooms at SCHS were used by the visiting schools for the meet. The SCHS Speech team placed 3rd in the 22 team tournament. The Schuyler Wrestling Invitational on January 14th and 15th, had over one thousand participants. Schools from as far as Scottsbluff made the trip to compete. The new auditorium and gym give SCHS the opportunity to hold events they weren’t able to in the past. 

In addition to the speech meet held in Schuyler, other school activities benefit the community by bringing people from out of town to Schuyler.  It benefits the community in a lot of ways because local restaurants and gas stations get more customers. Students participating in school events benefit from the activities, because they have higher GPA, better attendance, and overall better school performance. Students also build relationships with their teammates and learn lessons that can benefit them in the future, for example improved time management, and impress universities. Travis Steinhoff, the Assistant Principal/Activities Director at Schuyler Central High School shared, “that he believes the more students attend each other’s activities, the more school pride they will have.’’