Boys Golf adjust to higher competition level

Photo Credit: Robbi McKenney

The 21-22 Boys Golf Team.

Melani Alarcon, Staff Reporter

The golf team consists of  eleven golfers; four seniors, four juniors, two sophomores, and one  freshman. Brante Hayes, a First grade teacher at Schuyler Elementary School, is the coach. Coach Hayes stated that he “thoroughly enjoys coaching golf.”  Coach Hayes shared that he loves when he gets boys that are brand new to the sport. “Golf is a lifelong sport that you can enjoy,” stated Coach Hayes.

According to Coach Hayes, this golf season is going to be hard since the team no longer has last year’s seniors that were on the varsity team. Coach Hayes shared that this year the boys will have to quickly adjust to a higher level of competition at the varsity level. The team is making adjustments during practice. One weakness they have is that they are inexperienced, and all the boys on the team are trying to earn their spot on varsity shared Coach Hayes.   “With that happening it is creating more and more competition within the team,” shared Coach Hayes. The golf team’s hard work and competitiveness will show out on the golf course during their season.  

The golf team’s first duel was at West Point Beemer. The golf team so far has had one duel in Schuyler against Lakeview. The golf team has two more competitions in Schuyler. One is against Scotus on April 18, and the SCHS Invitational is May 12.