FCCLA goes to San Diego

Photo Credit: Jared Severson

FCCLA students (Gina Alba, Alex Aldana, Josue Fuentes) after State competition with Jared Severson.

Carolina Carvajal, Staff Reporter

“I am so proud of them, no matter if they got 3rd place gold, 5th place gold or moving on to Nationals, they did their best and that’s why I’m proud,’’ shared Jared Severson, Family Consumer Science and FCCLA Adviser. On April 4th and 5th, FCCLA students competed in Lincoln at State FCCLA. Josue Fuentes was named champion in Baking and Pastry and Alex Aldana was runner up in Fashion Construction. Josue and Alex will be competing at the National STAR competition in San Diego, California this summer with Gina Alba. To be able to compete at Nationals, students had to place first or second at State. Lucy Mendez earned a gold in Career Investigation, Vivi Sayer earned a gold in Fashion Construction, and Emily Daviu earned a bronze in Professional Presentation. Joel Medina was also presented as the new District Officer for 2022-2023 and Voting Delegate.

With Nationals on June 29 to July 3, Josue will keep practicing his baking skills until the next competition. This is Josue’s first year in FCCLA. Josue shared, “I can contribute my success to Jared Severson.’’ Mr. Severson helped Josue by buying all the ingredients necessary for him to be able to practice for the competition. Josue is “looking forward to seeing the beautiful sites that San Diego has to offer and enjoying every minute.”