Cheer Squad introduces 3 boys to the team

Photo Credit: Ashlie Stone

The 2022-2023 Cheerleaders.

Kimberly Morales, Staff Reporter

The annual cheer tryouts for SCHS were held March 21-25. Every morning at 6:30 a.m. practices were held. Students were required to have teacher evaluations, four from their core classes and one from an elective class. The tryouts are based on the required; dance, cheer, chant, and jumps. In total there are seventeen students in the cheer squad, six are new people and three of them are boys. On the 2022-2023 cheer squad are Seniors; Marylin Nava, Emily Daviu, Yeilla Lopez, Erika Quezada, Kathryn Tzunux, Piper Lefdal, Kathryn Novacek, Elizabeth Harding, Jenny Valora, Josue Fuentes, Victor Chavez, and Vincent Wegner. The juniors who will be on the cheer squad are; Kiara Valle, Melanie Rocha, Yoanna Gonzalez. The Sophomore cheer squad members will be; Bella Jedlicka, and Yamilet Ortiz.  

The boys that are new additions to the Cheer team will be attending weights to increase their strength. Josue Fuentes, a senior, shares that he is very excited to create memories. “My initial thoughts when I made the team was “AHHHHH”, I was just so excited,” Josue shared. Ashlie Stone, a Special Education teacher and Coach for the Schuyler Community High School Cheerleaders, has been the coach and teacher for five years. “I think I have a strong group of returners and quick learning new members,” Mrs. Stone explained. Mrs. Stone sees a very excited cheer squad for this year. “Having guys on a team is going to give our girls an experience they’ve never had, I think it will give our team stronger stunts and stronger sound,” Mrs. Stone commented. In 2017-2018, Adolfo Cruz was a Cheerleader. This was the last time a male cheerleader was on the cheer squad. He was a cheerleader for his senior year. Now entering the 2022-2023 year there will be three.