Focus Competition gets students to work together

Students+competing+in++hot+dog+eating+portion+of+the+Focus+competition.+

Photo Credit: Scott Mollring

Students competing in hot dog eating portion of the Focus competition.

Ximena Vasquez, Staff Reporter

The first quarter Focus competition was an obstacle course. The obstacle course competition  included a 200 meter run, carrying a 45 pound weight 50 yards, a hot dog eating competition, putting together a puzzle, solving a math problem, a partner carry, and a frisbee throw into a kiddie pool. Students from each Focus class took turns completing different parts of the course. Students not competing cheered their Focus classmates on. The obstacle course competition was designed by Nick Wilcox, who is a Schuyler Central High School Science Teacher and a boys wrestling assistant coach. The competition had moments that did go as expected and some other moments that it didn’t. “There were some organizational things that I needed to iron out,” explained Mr. Wilcox. For example, something that could’ve been more efficient was getting all the classes out to the field and ready.  “I think the events ran pretty much how I saw it going and students were genuinely excited to participate,” commented Mr. Wilcox. Mr. Wilcox admitted that the obstacle course wasn’t a brand new idea. When Mr. Wilcox was in college, his football team did something very similar to the competition, but on a much larger scale. It inspired him, because he remembered how it brought everybody together and he wanted to bring that to Focus time.

The main goal that Mr. Wilcox wanted to happen was to have a big chunk of the students working together with their Focus classmates. Another goal he had when designing the challenge was to have something that all students could participate in. From physically demanding challenges to more mentally challenging ones, Mr. Wilcox wanted to see students lending their skills to help their group. Mr. Wilcox was happy about how it turned out. Mr. Wilcox was extremely happy with the support that other students showed while their peers participated. 

Mr. Wilcox’s favorite part of the competition was the excitement that the competition created those days. The hot dog eating part of the course seemed to always have the biggest crowd around it. Mr. Wilcox is thankful for all of the staff that helped with setting up and tearing down. Mr. Wilcox appreciates the number of staff that donated or lent us some of the items for the competition. “Lastly, I did not foresee the puzzle being the speed bump,” commented Mr. Wilcox. “I hope everyone enjoyed it and I’m looking forward to doing it again in the future,” shared Mr. Wilcox. 

Daniela Monzon is a freshman at SCHS that participated in the competition. Daniela thought that the competition was “fun and that we should do it again in the future.” Daniela’s favorite part about the course was the partner carry. “I would like to do different things for another Focus competition like more food or more runs like a 800 meter or more stuff like that,” shared Daniela.