National School Lunch Week is celebrated at SCHS

Photo Credit: Melani Alarcon

SCHS students eating lunch.

Melani Alarcon, Staff Reporter

According to schoolnutriton.com, John F. Kennedy created National School Lunch Week (NSLW) in 1962 to promote the importance of a healthy school lunch in a child’s life and the impact it has inside and outside of the classroom. National School Lunch Week was celebrated October 10-14. Jamie Ramirez, Food Service Director for Schuyler Community Schools, encouraged teachers and students to dress like a hippie or wear your favorite tie dye to celebrate the last day of National School Lunch Week Friday, October 14th.

According to Mrs. Ramirez, they are feeding 1600 students per day throughout the whole Schuyler school district. Mrs. Ramirez explained that you do not need previous experience to work in the Food Service department but it is helpful.  Food Service staff do on job training if employees have no previous experience. “I have been working here for over 19 years and I feel like I am still learning everyday,” stated Mrs. Ramirez. Over the summer the lunch department served 4,200 plus meals. Mrs. Ramirez shared that her favorite part of the job is the kids and making sure no one goes home hungry. Sheila Trainer, head of the Food Service Department at Schuyler Central High School, shared that there are a total of six lunch employees at SCHS.