Student wins raffle for Scholarship

Photo Credit: Litzy Ramirez

Micheal Arriaza holding his Scholarship.

Gadiel Alvarado, Staff Reporter

On Tuesday October eleventh at Central Community College in Columbus, the Latino Summit was held for scholarship opportunities, careers and education after high school for students. The Latino Summit also had a vendor fair with multiple colleges and representatives to speak with the students. The keynote speaker for the Hispanic-Latino Summit was Schuyler’s own Dr. Cristobal Salinas. “It was fantastic to hear about Dr. Salinas’ advice to the students about working towards your goals,” Schuyler Central High Schools Counselor Katie Bertrand proudly said. Dr. Cristobal Salinas also spoke about his struggles of being an ESL student and becoming successful later on in his life.

The Latino Summit also provided information about benefits of programs like FCCLA. The one who spoke about those benefits was Gina Alba, a Junior at SCHS. “Gina knocked it out of the park when she spoke about the benefits of programs like FCCLA,” Mrs. Bertrand shared. Central Community College also awarded a student with a scholarship by entering a raffle. This year’s student who won the raffle was Micheal Arriaza, a Senior at SCHS. He was awarded a thousand dollar scholarship to Central Community College at Columbus. “It was really inspiring to hear about all the possibilities out there for students when it comes to college and careers which got me excited for our students, and I hope that the students who went felt inspired and got excited too,” Mrs. Bertrand happily shared.