Record Number goes to All State

Photo Credit: Yearbook Staff

Shown in the picture are: Omar Barrios, Joel Medina, Josue Fuentes, Michael Arriaza. Not shown in the picture are: Gina Alba, Vincent Wegner.

Ximena Vasquez, Staff Reporter

This year six students from Schuyler Central High School made it to the All State Band, Choir, and Orchestra. The six students will be going to All State November 16-18. Last year SCHS had two students make it and two years before that we had one. It hasn’t been since 2013 when as many as six students qualified for All State, which shows their growth over the past few years. “Shout-out to Vincent Wegner for making it for a third time, Michael Arriaza for a second time, and Josue, Joel, Gina, and Omar for their first time,” exclaimed Paul Niedbalski, Schuyler Central High School Band Director. The students practiced a lot to prepare for All State auditions. They worked through music with Mr. Niedbalski or Ms. Semerad. Some of the students went to camps over the summer to get some help from college music teachers. Students get into All State by auditioning against approximately 3,000 of the best high school musicians in Nebraska . They record what they have practiced, then professional judges pick the best players and singers to determine who gets in. Approximately 500 students in total make it to All State. The rehearsals take place on the University of Nebraska at Lincoln campus, and the final performances are at the Lied Center.

Senior Michael Arriaza is one of the six students from SCHS going to All State. Michael has auditioned two years and made it both times. Michael prepared by taking eight months where he read and sung the music over and over practicing his rehearsal tracks. Michael is very excited about going to All State. “It feels nice to be able to participate in the All State Choir this year, I think it’s more special just because it is my senior year,” shared Michael. Something Michael would like to tell someone interested in trying to go to All State is to take it seriously and put in the time and work since it is very competitive. “I’m very proud of the six of us who get to represent Schuyler this year we worked very hard,” commented Michael. 

Josue Fuentes, a senior, is also going to All State this year. This is Josue’s first year attending All State Choir. Josue prepared by looking at the music and reviewing it. Josue feels very honored to be handpicked by judges who thought his audition was wonderful enough to perform amongst the best of the best in Nebraska. “To anyone interested in trying out, be prepared to set aside time to practice and really put the work and effort into the audition,” shared Josue.