FFA At Districts

Photo Credit: Hal Moomey

Part of the group of successful District FFA competitiors from the Schuyler FFA.

Jacquelyn Perez, Staff Reporter

Schuyler Central High School FFA competed at the first of two district competitions on January, 26th. Districts took place at the Norfolk Community College. There were several FFA members who competed and were successful in their endeavors. Schuyler Community High School Agricultural teacher Casey Harper is one of the Co-Sponsors for the FFA Chapter. Mr. Harper has been involved in FFA for 10 years. Another Co-Sponsor is Hal Moomey. This is Mr. Moomey’s  first year being a FFA Co-Sponsor at SCHS. Mr. Moomey was also a part of a FFA chapter during his high school years. 

There were 24 SCHS students who attended. The students who placed in each of their categories at Districts were; Hayden Bailey 9, placed 17th overall, and both Kathryn Novacek 12, and Aidan Rorah 9 received white ribbons for Agronomy. For Food Science, Jani Yepez (10) received a blue ribbon and placed 12th overall, and Angela Yepez (10) received a red ribbon for Food Science. For Floriculture, Ana Soto (10) received a purple ribbon and placed 8th overall. Alexia Marino (11) received and placed 16th overall, and Kathryn Novacek (12) received a blue ribbon and placed 18th overall. Last but not least, Bela Jedlicka received a purple ribbon and placed 8th overall, Allison Vavricek (10) received a purple ribbon and placed 15 overall, and Addison Vavricek (10) received a blue ribbon and placed 23rd overall, qualifying them for Junior Livestock Judging. 

The State Alternate Team missed State by three points, but as a team they missed State by five points. The Junior Livestock team and Floriculture team are State alternates. State FFA is going to take place at Lincoln, March 29th through the 31st.