New faces for the SCHS Dance Team

Schuyler Central High School 23-24 Dance Team. Photo Credit: Ashlie Stone

Ximena Vasquez, Staff Reporter

The annual dance tryouts at Schuyler Central High School were held on April 11-14. The students trying out showed up at 6:30 a.m every morning to practice. 20 girls tried out and 20 made the team. The SCHS 2023-24 dancers are: Andrea Azcunaga 12, Alekxa Olvera 12, Clara Lesiak 12, Natalie Espiritu 12, Kimberly Morales 12, Jasmine Acosta 12, Maddy Pineda 12, Emily Garcia 12, Jamie Romero 12, Hope Borman 12, Aylin Portillo 12,  Isabella Adame 11, Nadia Pond 10, Daisy Herrera 10, Yasmin Montanez 10, Miriam Deanda 10, Africa Corona 9, Emma Reyna 9, Dayami Renteria 9, and Analis Aldana 9. The grades listed next to their names are the grades they will be in next year. This year Ashlie Stone, an SCHS Special Education teacher, will be Head Coach for both the Dance and Cheer team. This will be Mrs. Stone’s first year coaching the SCHS Dance team.

Mrs. Stone is looking forward to “Two teams that unite to boost school spirit,” shared Mrs. Stone. This year there will only be a varsity team for the SCHS Dance team. As of now, there is no dance captain. The qualities that Mrs. Stone was looking for the girls trying out were “Someone who is coachable, they have to be leaders in the classroom, Obviously, dance skills are great, but I really look for all around good people,” explained Mrs. Stone. Mrs. Stone has no concerns at the moment. Mrs. Stone might be adding a couple more morning practices during the week since she explained she is a morning person. “I do think this year will be an adjustment year to a new coach, new rules, and new expectations,” commented Mrs. Stone. Nadia Pond, a freshman at SCHS, has been on the dance team for one year, however it will be her second year in the dance team as a sophomore. “I do think this year will be an adjustment year to a new coach, new rules, and new expectations,” shared Nadia.