The Home of Schuyler Central High School News

The Schuyler Warrior

The Schuyler Warrior

The Schuyler Warrior

Like us on Facebook
Click below to follow Warrior News

Virtual activities make a big hit at 10th Tech Fair

Photo Credit: Yearbook Staff
Students visiting the Platte Valley vendor.

What is a Tech Fair? Schuyler Community High School’s 10th annual Tech Fair was held on October 17. Each Focus class was divided into three different groups that rotated through a planned schedule. The students participated in three 50 minute rotations that included; the keynote speaker Dorann Avey, a breakout session that interested the students, and a Vending area in the east gym where they had the opportunity to meet with multiple college reps, military reps, area business people and much more. The Tech Fair gave students and staff an opportunity to explore more of the 21st century technologies. Students had the opportunity to win prizes such as; MetaQuest2, TV, Echo dot, Roku express, headphones, ring lights and many more. Students received tickets based on interaction with the presenters that later went into a bucket to be drawn at random, over 20 students received prizes.

This year’s speaker was Dorann Avey from the Nebraska Department of Education. Dorann’s topic is “Unleashing the Power of the Future!” Dorann spoke about Artificial Intelligence. Dorann Avey was chosen to speak this year because the IT department staff heard her present at the Nebraska Administration Days in Kearney about AI. Jeff Droge, Director of Technology at SCHS stated, “We were searching for a keynote/featured speaker for months in advance of the October Tech Fair, when we found out she was available on Oct. 17th, we booked her immediately.” Mr. Droge reported that the most popular activities were anything virtual, he explained that “The virtual simulators are always a big hit, payloader and welder.  Of course, the virtual reality goggles that Prairie STEM brought to the Fair were also very popular.”