The Home of Schuyler Central High School News

The Schuyler Warrior

The Schuyler Warrior

The Schuyler Warrior

Like us on Facebook
Click below to follow Warrior News

The Trio qualify for State

Joel+Medina%2C+Omar+Barrios%2C+and+Gina+Alba+the+All+State+qualifiers.+
Photo Credit: Yearbook Staff
Joel Medina, Omar Barrios, and Gina Alba the All State qualifiers.

This year three students from Schuyler Central High School were chosen for All State Music. Students submitted audition recordings from all over the state in hope to be chosen for All State. The Schuyler students chosen are; Joel Medina, 12, Gina Alba, 12, and Omar Barrios, 11. They represented Schuyler Central High School by in Choir and Orchestra. This will be the second time these students have qualified for All State Music. All State Music rehearsals will be held at University of Nebraska at Lincoln Campus, finals were held at The Lied Center on November 6.

To prepare for the big day, Gina Alba explains that she, “attended a two day clinic at Midland University to learn the seven songs selected for the ASC with a full choir over the summer.” Omar Barrios had a different method of getting ready for the big day. Omar explained that he “first had to learn and study a fast and intricate Etude and slow and delicate section of a difficult piece.”

There are lots of benefits to qualifying for All State. “I have been contacted by multiple colleges to visit their music departments and have been offered small scholarships by Augustana University and Midland University for being in the All-State choir,” explained Gina. Omar shared that for him the benefits were that “many colleges will look at it.”