The Home of Schuyler Central High School News

The Schuyler Warrior

The Schuyler Warrior

The Schuyler Warrior

Like us on Facebook
Click below to follow Warrior News

Girls Wrestling starts with a New Assistant Coach

Photo Credit: Yearbook Staff
The 2023-2024 Wrestling Girls Team.

Schuyler Girls Wrestling has officially started. This year there are thirty-six girls going out for wrestling. The number of wrestling girls has increased. At the beginning of last year the wrestling team had twenty girls in total. There is one new assistant coach this year, Mathew Johnston. It is Coach Johnston’s first year as a wrestling assistant coach. Coach Johnston wrestled at and graduated from Midland University in Fremont. Serena Sanchez, a Schuyler Elementary School Kindergarten teacher, is in her second year as an assistant coach. Coach Sanchez began wrestling in fifth grade and she wrestled all the way through college at Midland University. Coach Sanchez graduated from Midland University and received a scholarship to wrestle. Coach Sanchez and Johnston both also manage the youth wrestling program for kindergarten through fifth grade. 

This year there’s a set of twins in wrestling, Yuritza Mejia and Yaritza Mejia. It’s their second year of wrestling. They are freshmen. Yaritza shared, “I was inspired to join wrestling, because of my friends and my coach Mark Wemhoff.” Carolina Carvajal, a senior, has been wrestling for the past 5 years, Carolina started wrestling in seventh grade. “My goals this year are just to become better and push myself harder,” according to Carolina. The Schuyler Girls Wrestling team had their first meet, on November thirtieth. The wrestling team won the dual win vs Crete forty- five to thirty.