The Home of Schuyler Central High School News

The Schuyler Warrior

The Schuyler Warrior

The Schuyler Warrior

Like us on Facebook
Click below to follow Warrior News

Coach pushes for success

The+2023-2024+Boys+Wrestling+team.+
Photo Credit: Yearbook Staff
The 2023-2024 Boys Wrestling team.

2023-2024 Boys Wrestling Season starts off with a new head coach. This is the first time Drey Keairnes has been head coach after 10 years of being an assistant wrestling coach. His assistant coaches for the 23-24 season will be Nick Wilcox, Tyrell Reichert, and Rodrigo Carvajal. This season 53 boys are going out for wrestling. Coach Keairnes does not really see any major changes that need to happen. He explains that, “I just want Schuyler Wrestling to be seen as a tough program with tough kids who go out on the mat and wrestle hard.” Coach Keairnes has wrestled since he was 6 years old. He wrestled all throughout high school in Denison, Iowa and then he continued his wrestling career at Dana College and Midland University.

One of the returning wrestlers and past State qualifiers this year is Chris Shannon, who will be wrestling at 150 pounds. Coach Keairnes shared that “Chris has a unique style of wrestling that I am excited to help him develop as he continues to improve. Alvaro Carrera, a freshman and JV wrestler, explained that his goal is that he wants to get wins in his weight goal of 120. The wrestler who inspired Alvaro to wrestle was Jordan Burroughs. Jordan Burroughs is an American Freestyle wrestler who competes at 74 kilograms and has a record of 115 wins and 20 loses. Alvaro has been wrestling since the 7th grade. Coach Keairnes will continue using the phrase “We Are Schuyler” as the motivational/cultural slogan. The wrestling team will not be required to do any community service or work with any youth, but the coaches encourage them to help out and be good citizens for our community. At their first meet, the Warrior Boys Wrestling went against Crete winning 41 24.