The Home of Schuyler Central High School News

The Schuyler Warrior

The Schuyler Warrior

The Schuyler Warrior

Like us on Facebook
Click below to follow Warrior News

One Act wins District

Schuyler+One+Act+after+receiving+their+awards+at+Districts.+
Photo Credit: Hope Pedersen
Schuyler One Act after receiving their awards at Districts.

Schuyler Community High School’s One Act Cast and Crew won first place at District, and also received the Technical Crew Award. The crew members won the Technical Award because the judges believed SCHS crew was the best at the lighting, makeup, costumes, music and set. Gina Alba and Joel Medina, One Act actors, received the Best Overall Female and Male performer awards. Gina Alba shared that she was “so excited and proud we made it to State again.” It means a lot for Gina and Joel to be able to end their high school career strong with qualifying for State. Hope Pedersen is a K-5 Art teacher, the One Act Play Production Director, an Assistant Speech Coach, and Assistant Musical Director. Ms. Pedersen decided to have this year’s play be “La Llorona”. Ms. Pedersen chose “La Llorona” as this year’s performance to let the cast express their diversity and culture. Ms. Pedersen explained that, “these students embrace their culture, language, and identity through this show; people can see and feel that when watching.”

Due to many judges not being very aware of Llorona, it forces them to focus on the show. “The Judges, Coaches, and students seemed to enjoy the show and even had people thank the SCHS One Act for representing their culture,” shared Ms. Pedersen. Nineteen of the cast members received outstanding performance awards. Gina and Joel shared that they were shocked and they got to meet their goal together; of getting an overall acting award at least once this new season. According to Ms. Pedersen, the cast did well adapting to changes, such as the stage being slightly smaller, or even the issues with their table. Ms. Pedersen explained that, “Jaylee DeLaTorre and Elizabeth Becerra handled that issue so well that you wouldn’t have believed it was their first season with us.” One Act went to State One Act in Norfolk on December 8th, and placed 6th.