The Home of Schuyler Central High School News

The Schuyler Warrior

The Schuyler Warrior

The Schuyler Warrior

Like us on Facebook
Click below to follow Warrior News

What’s been done and what’s to come.

Girls Wrestling
Photo Credits: Broadcasting Staff
Miriam Deanda pursuing her strategy of not being afraid to lose.

Schuyler High School Girls Wrestling finishes off the 23-24 season headed to State. Serena Sanchez, SCHS’s Girls Wrestling assistant coach and teacher at Schuyler Elementary, commented that the mindset of the girls is what has improved the most. Ms. Sanchez explained that a lot of girls improved their confidence on the mats, saying “building that confidence helped them get further in tournaments and matches, because they believe in their shots and they were able to get their takedowns.” The snowy weather took a toll on the wrestling team’s practices and meets, many times canceled or postponed. The time off still didn’t stop the girls according to Ms. Sanchez. She shared that it did not affect the girls too much, because they work hard on the mat, “in fact, I think it made us more eager to compete since we had been off of the mats for so long, we saw a lot of our girls really improve and step it up at conference.”

Emily Garcia, a senior wrestler, stated “What I think helped us at conference was our supportive team, I guarantee we were the loudest in that gym and that motivated our girls to push even more.” Girls varsity wrestlers won 1st place at Conference. Before Districts, Miriam Deanda, sophomore wrestler for SCHS, made a goal to give Districts everything and to try her best. Miriam stated, “One of my strategies is to not be afraid to lose, but to wrestle to win.” State will be held Februaury 15th-17th. The qualifiers are; Jessica Ortega at 100 lbs., Miriam Deanda at 130 lbs.  Carly Wemhoff at 145 lbs., and  Gina Alba District Champ at 190lbs. Ms. Sanchez mentioned, “I also hope that they know how proud we are of them, I want them to be proud of all the work that they put in, and I don’t want any girls to leave off of the mat with regrets, especially our seniors.”