A New Focus

Ari Silverio, Newspaper Staff

In school the Focus class is about “building a community”, according to Drey Keairnes, a 9th grade English teacher at SCHS. It is important because it helps students believe they have a place to be in this school. It’s a new year now and that means things have changed. There are now events that take place in Focus class. Mr. Keairnes and several other teachers belong to the school’s Project Based Learning team. The Project Based Learning team are planning the new Focus class events. The planned events for this Fall semester are the rock paper scissors challenge, a cube project, the slender tower challenge, and bridge building. One event already took place and that was the rock paper scissors challenge. The rock paper scissors challenge  went on for 3 days. The first day, started with students playing rock paper scissors in each classroom until only one

Students competing against each other.

in each class is left. On the second day, class champions competed against other class champions in sections. On the third day, all the students and teachers went to the gym and watched the final 6 students compete. The winner of that challenge was a sophomore named Alejandra Castro.

Mr. Kearnes as the referee for the rock paper scissors challenge.

Mr. Keairnes believes that people will enjoy it and hope it can become the best part of everyone’s day. He wanted to start making events because he believed in Focus having a purpose and that it will make the school a bigger community. He believes that every student should have a sense of pride in order to have a place in this world. Keairnes said that he “will continue to make more events for this class for the entire school year and hopes that this class will change the way the students look at it.”