Ball Dodged For Good Cause

Photo Credit: Jeremy Jones

Teams of students dodge for a good cause.

Ari Silverio, Staff Reporter

The Schuyler Central High School Student Council Dodgeball Tournament was Friday November 16. The tournament’s purpose was to raise money for the Nebraska Make-A-Wish Foundation. The Make-a-Wish Foundation is an organization that arranges experiences described as “wishes” for children with critical diseases. According to Mandy Peterson, Student Council sponsor, “We started planning for the tournament last year, but wanted it to be in Fall instead of it being in March.”

“They (Student Council) started the annual Dodgeball Tournament in 2010,” stated Mrs. Peterson. The Student Council wanted the tournament to take place in March, but moved it to November. “They do enjoy having a laugh and raising money for a good cause” said Mrs. Peterson.

The Dodgeball Tournament had between 10 to 12 teams that participated. Mrs. Peterson believes that the tournament went well since she has two referees to help the tournament go smoothly. “This year we are again having pool play first to determine seeding for the tournament. It’s all taking place in one night so teams will be playing a minimum of five games each,” According to Mrs. Peterson. The Student Council hoped to get a goal of $500 or more from this event. “This Dodgeball Tournament isn’t the only way to raise money, the Student Council is coming up with another event that is planning to take place in February during Valentines Day, but they aren’t sure what it’s going to be.” Mrs. Peterson said.