A life changing opportunity for students at SCHS

The+Latino+Summit+speakers+at+Northeast+Community+College.+

Photo Credits: Yearbook Staff

The Latino Summit speakers at Northeast Community College.

Erik Cancino and Fernando Castro at the Latino Summit. (Photo Credits: Yearbook Staff)

On Friday September 24th at Northeast Community College in Norfolk, the Latino Summit was held for Latino students to hear about the struggles of other Latinos, how they overcame their struggles, and where they are now in their lives. The speakers were adults who were professionals and college students. Two of the college student speakers were SCHS graduates; Gabe Vargas and Megan De Leon. “They did a fantastic job at speaking and they represented themselves in a very positive way as well,” SCHS Counselor Amy Johnson said proudly. 

The Latino Summit provided new experiences and life changing opportunities to students. Northeast Community College was awarding scholarships via a drawing and this is the first year SCHS students were selected for a scholarship. This year 27 juniors and seniors from SCHS went to the Latino Summit. Out of the 27 only 5 were selected for a scholarship. The five students were ; Alexis Alarcon, Joel Jacinto, Eduardo Rodriguez, Samuel Hernandez, and Cristian De Leon. These students were randomly selected from a drawing to receive a $1,000 scholarship to Northeast Community College. Angelin Raymundo Salazar, a senior at Schuyler Community High School, was one of the 27 students and she shared, “I would really encourage anyone who can to go because it is really a great opportunity and experience.” Angelin’s favorite part of the Latino Summit was listening to the speakers.