From a teacher to a mortician

Ms.+Wallin+ready+to+greet+her+students.+

Photo Credit: Evelyn Cortez

Ms. Wallin ready to greet her students.

Evelyn Cortez, Staff Reporter

A new face to welcome at Schuyler Central High School is Heidi Wallin, the new SCHS Physical Science teacher. This is Ms. Wallin’s fourth year teaching, but it is her first year as a high school teacher. She taught at Norris Middle School in Omaha for the past three years as an eighth grade Science teacher. Something that inspired Ms. Wallin teaches Physical Science because she feels it is an interesting subject to teach, shared Ms. Wallin “This subject helps everyone understand why certain events happen in nature.” Ms. Wallin has always been curious as to why things happen so this is the perfect subject to get to both explore and explain things.

Ms. Wallin’s mom is a teacher, and both of her sisters knew from the start they wanted to teach as well. Ms. Wallin didn’t decide to be a teacher until after she graduated college. Ms. Wallin worked as a Special Education Para at an elementary school in Papillion, Ne. and “absolutely loved it”. From there Ms. Wallin went on to get her Master’s degree in Education. Teaching any age is interesting, but so far high school has been the most fun for Ms. Wallin. Ms. Wallin loves the community sense of Schuyler.  Ms. Wallin feels that it is very tight knit and inviting.

Ms. Wallin’s favorite strength as a teacher is her sense of decorating. She feels like a classroom that has a nice flow and atmosphere helps with everyone’s mood (students and teachers). On a more serious note, another strength of Ms. Wallin regarding teaching is trying to get every student to understand the content. Science is a tough subject with a lot of advanced vocabulary. Ms. Wallin’s goal is to be like the great legend, Bill Nye. “Bill Nye does an amazing job of making hard concepts understandable for everyone.” According to Ms. Wallin, “Science doesn’t need to be showing off how many big words we know. it truly is for everyone and that’s what she tries to incorporate in her classroom”. One thing that the people at SCHS may not know about Ms. Wallin is that if she ever decides not to teach anymore, her back up career choice is to become a mortician. Ms. Wallin has always had the biggest fascination with that career field.