Coat Drive brings warmth to Schuyler Residents

Photo Credit: Sheri Balak

From Left to Right: Patti Kitt, Dave Thompson, Joann Thompson, Sheri Balak, and former Pastor Dennis Wheeler.

Briana Martinez, Staff Reporter

“Share the Warmth Coat Closet” is open once again for Schuyler residents who are in need. Christ United Methodist Church is hosting Share the Warmth Coat Closet, and other partakers include Divine Mercy Parish, First Presbyterian Church, St. John’s Lutheran Church, and Trinity Lutheran Church. The Schuyler Ministerial Association started the program Share the Warmth Coat Closet to bring forth warm clothing for Schuyler area residents who are in need. Sheri Balak, program coordinator, mentions that the Coat Closet welcomes donations especially new and gently used coats for children. 

With the cold weather arriving Share the Warmth Coat Closet accepts donations of all types of warm clothing, preferably new or lightly used. As COVID-19 cases are increasing there have been some modifications to this year’s program. Donations can be delivered to Christ United Methodist Church but you must call to make an appointment before delivering. Checks can also be sent to the church to buy new coats, cash is also needed to buy new coats. To prevent more COVID-19 cases from increasing, all visitors must wear a mask to receive or donate coats and only one person may enter at a time. 

Cori Vavricek, SCHS nurse, is taking a part in Share the Warmth Coat Drive. Cori Vavricek is available at SCHS to get in touch with students who are in need of a coat for the approaching cold weather. Students can email Cori their needs and size, and from there, Cori will let Sheri Balak know to save a coat for the student in need. There are many ways to receive a warm coat this year thanks to Share the Warmth Coat Closet. The coat drive is open as long as there are donations, through January 31, 2021. For more information or to make an appointment you can contact these numbers 402-352-3560 or 402-352-2193 or 402-615-1597.