Warrior Girls Basketball, running toward success

Photo Credit: Yearbook Staff

Reagan Folda runs to possible score.

Ketsia Dimpolo, Staff Reporter

In the girls basketball team, there are 27 players. Twelve girls just returned and the fifteen others are the new players. Daniel Wolken, high school government teacher and Warrior Girls Basketball coach has been coaching for 30 years. Coach Wolken played basketball for eight years while in school and he had played for many years after that in mens leagues. The goal for Warrior Girls Basketball this year is to be more competitive with all their opponents. Holding teams to under 40 points and also having players average over 10 points a game. “I believe coaching allows me to become a better teacher by getting to know the students on a more personal level” said Coach Wolken. The girls basketball assistant coaches this year are Ashley Faltin and Abby Kruger.

Rachel Shonka, one of the basketball captain has played basketball since 7th grade and this is not her first year being a captain of a sports team. “Being a basketball captain makes me feel like I always have an impact on the team. A team captain is responsible for the attitude of the team. They must always encourage the other players and work hard everyday to set an example,” Shonka said. Shonka feels like their team strengths this year are how hard everyone works to be better and the chemistry they have between themselves as teammates. Shonka believes that the toughest team they will play will be York. Let’s see how they will do this year.