New Girls Basketball Coaches work together for 21-22 season

Photo Credit: Yearbook Staff

Junior Varsity Girls competing against Dc West.

Jacquelyn Perez, Staff Reporter

Girls Basketball has started their new season. This year SCHS Girls Basketball team has a total of 18 players, a combination of returning and new athletes. The coaches for the 21-22 season basketball teams are Head Coach Richard Godejohn, and Assistant Coach Greg Hansen. Coach Godejohn is a SCHS Math teacher who will be coaching the varsity team. The Assistant Coach, and also junior varsity team coach, Greg Hansen is coaching the girls basketball for the first year. Coach Hansen shared how his primary role is to coach the JV team on game days and assist in what the varsity head coach has planned for practice on non-game days. He also shared “I also drive the bus to away games”. Coach Hansen explained, “The girls on the JV team are giving great effort and are being very coachable. I feel that they are getting better every game.” Greg Hansen has coached girls and boys youth level up to the varsity level for 20 and more years. “I enjoy coaching basketball a lot,” commented Coach Hansen. 

According to Coach Godejohn, the team’s strengths are “We are fast and energetic,” and their weakness is “we lack height, which has been a problem for a while.”  The team’s main goal is to improve in all areas. Coach Godejohn wants to develop basketball skills for every level and grade of player. The toughest team this year to compete with is York and Blair. Before being a head coach, Mr. Godejohn volunteered to be an assistant coach and coached the freshman team. Coach Godejohn was going to be an assistant coach this year, but a change in staff gave him the opportunity to take the head coaching spot. “I have great coaches working with me, and I am enthusiastic about what my staff and I can do for the team,” explained Coach Godejohn.